New House to Home: Ballard Inspired Chandelier Magnets            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ballard Inspired Chandelier Magnets

How would you like to easily upgrade a chandelier in under ten minutes for well under $20?  I did, and here's how it turned out.

A nice little upgrade from what I started with...

I could have just as easily accomplished the same effect by purchasing these gorgeous magnetic chandelier crystals from Ballard Designs:
Set of 3 Magnetic Crystals

When I found out that these cost $35 for three (and I would have needed nine) plus shipping, I decided to come up with another solution.  I did, and it couldn't be easier.  Here's what you'll need:

Jewelery magnets and glass Christmas ornaments - that's it!  I got my ornaments last year at Target.  They were originally $1.50 each, but I was able to get them for 30% off.  With the craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby already stocking their shelves with Christmas decor, and our other favorite stores like Target and Home Goods soon to follow, now is the time to start looking for these. 

I simply attached the jewelery magnet (the best price I found was $2.24 for 6 magnets at JoAnn) to the jump ring on the ornament, and then stuck it to my chandelier.  Easy peasy!

I noticed that Ballard also sells magnetic chandelier ornaments for Halloween.  Very cute!
Set of 3 Halloween Magnetic Crystals

Unfortunately, at $39 for a set of three, these are even more expensive than the crystals.  I'm sorry, Ballard, I'm not willing to spend that much on something I will only use for 30 days of the year.  Again, I decided to come up with a much less expensive, creative solution.  Here's what I came up with:

It may not be quite as glam as the Ballard version, but I think this guy is adorable!  When it comes to Halloween, my taste tends to gravitate more toward the cute than the creepy.  If you prefer a spookier theme, I'm sure you could find spiders, bats, or skeletons to use in your project.  Either way, you'll have to invest a bit more time to make these than the crystal version, but you'll definitely be able to finish them in under an hour.  Here are the supplies I got at Michael's:

In addition to your bag of glittery Styrofoam balls and jack-o-lanterns (which I hope you got with a 40% off coupon), you will need the jewelery magnets, some jump rings, eye pins, and good craft glue.

To start, you will need to attach the magnet to a jump ring and then an eye pin to that same jump ring.  Then you attach two eye pins to a jump ring, and then attach two more eye pins to a second jump ring.  When you're finished, this is what you'll have:

Next, you will trim each of the eye pins.  Each pin should be less than half the diameter of the Styrofoam piece into which it is being inserted. 

Finally, one at a time, coat the eye pins with craft glue and insert into the Styrofoam pieces as shown in this photo:

It's best to let the glue dry on each eye pin before inserting the next eye pin.  Once all of the pins are inserted, lay your ornament on it's side until the glue is completely dry. When all the glue is dry, you are ready to attach your ornament to your chandelier.  How easy is that!?!


I hope you enjoyed this simple project.  What's your favorite way to dress up your home quickly and inexpensively?

Linking to:






shabby creek cottage








HookingupwithHoH

UndertheTableandDreaming

 






Home Stories A2Z

46 comments:

  1. Cheryl, this is so creative! What a great way to dress up the chandelier and change it with the seasons/hoildays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shenita! It's taken me awhile to gather the courage to put myself out there, so I really appreciate the positive feedback!

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about figuring out how to make my own the other day as I was browsing their catalog! I love you! Thanks so much for the inspiration, I'll have to make some crystals and then halloween and christmas charms! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I'm glad this post came at the right time for you. I'd love to see your finished products!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! And a way to customize for different holidays! Thank you for sharing- glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please stop back again soon - I've got so many more easy DIY projects to share.

      Delete
  4. This is such a fabulous idea. I wish I had seen it before I was at Joann's. (We don't have Joann's in Canada) Maybe I can find something similar at our Michael's. Will start looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in luck - I got all the glittery styrofoam pieces at Michael's, and I know they also have the jewelry magnets there. I would love to see what you create!

      Delete
  5. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! Love these!! I am going to check at Hobby Lobby and see if they have something simiar?

    Thank you for sharing this! SO CUTE!

    Lou Cinda ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that they have the jewelry magnets at Hobby Lobby. I cant wait to see your version of this project!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting such a great idea! I have a chandelier in my salon and this will look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so inexpensive and easy - I'm sure it will be perfect for your salon!

      Delete
  7. Cute!! Thanks for the tutorial! I may have to try something like this over one of my Tablescapes! wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share, Ann! I hope you'll stop back. I've got lots of great idea for the fall and winter holidays.

      Delete
  8. I have used those ornaments from Target on my chandelier too! But the way you've attached them to the chandy is genius! I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it couldn't be easier! I hope Target carries those ornaments again this year. Thank you for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  9. Clever girl! I'm visiting from Allison's blog at HoH - love this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are simply amazing! I have a very similar chandelier, and these would be so fun to make for different holidays in place of our crystals hanging down. I'm pinning this! BTW, I found you on houseofhepworth's linky party!

    Bonny @ thedomesticatedprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking and thanks for pinning! I'll be stopping by your blog to see what you create!

      Delete
  11. So fun! Thanks for linking these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and thanks fir visiting my blog!

      Delete
  12. I've been trying to think of a way to dress up my daughter's ceiling fan (we are going to paint it) to something more elegant - this is the ticket! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested to see these used on a ceiling fan. I hope it works for you. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  13. Hi Cheryl, I meant to send you a message that I would be featuring you on my Pinterest weekly feature. I am glad you were ok with it. You have a fantastic blog! I am your newest fan.
    Kim`madeinaday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've loved the chandelier baubles since discovering them on QVC several years ago. Never thought of making my own, until now. Thanks for the easy instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This idea is so clever. I definitely will try it.

    Thanks!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is super clever!!! I'm pinning and trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so awesome...I didn't know there were jewelry magnets!! Pinning!

    I would love for you to submit your project and share it with my readers!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have just changed my whole life! I just put up a chandelier that needs a little bling...couldn't justify the Ballard crystals, and I'm so glad because the ones I make will be so much cuter!! THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!! You girls are so inventive. What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love LOVE! I was just oohing and aahing over the ones in the Ballard catalog, and thinking, "Surely there must be a way to make those yourself!" Voila... Here's the answer! ;) Found you through Knock-off Decor, btw ;) And I'm totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea! I had no idea there were such things as jewelry magnets. I'm so glad you shared this. I'm definitely filing it away for future use. Thanks!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool! It’s easy for others to get discouraged at the sight of the expenses, but it takes a really imaginative mind to come up with this solution. :D Aside from the fact that you were able to save a very significant amount in this project; you can now upgrade your chandeliers at home occasionally, now that you know the trick. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sun damage may strike at any season, whether it’s summer or winter, so it’s wisest to always wear sunglasses whenever we go out. It makes for an awesome fashion statement too!


    Crystal Custom
    Promotional Sunglasses
    Promo Sunglasses
    Personalized sunglasses
    Customized sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really awesome. I fall love in this blog. Thanks for share

    Crystal Custom

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you so much for this idea. I was actually looking for the magnet to hold crystals when I found your post. I think it's a great idea to use the jewery magnets. I will be trying this tomorrow thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. After read your blog I am ready to do some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glass Vases for Centerpieces
    Welcome to Badash Crystal, your online retail shop for crystal candle holders, scotch decanters, paperweights, crystal stemware, glass goblets and glass cylinder vases.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How brilliant are you! Love this idea and think you are one clever gal to come up with it! I attempted to 'pin' it several times, alas no luck. Maybe you would consider putting 'pin' buttons on your projects to make it easier for us poor technophobes to keep your projects? Thanks for sharing and keep that brilliance shining!

    ReplyDelete
  29. no project in mind but I am definitely going to bookmark this page.Your blog has very fine crystal chandeliers magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG I have been looking all over the web on how to attach crystals to my chandelier. I found the magnet ones, but way to expensive. You showed me how to make them myself. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

    ReplyDelete