New House to Home: Laundry Room Reveal            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Friday, August 31, 2012

Laundry Room Reveal

I've been showing you bits and pieces of it for weeks, and now here it is in it's entirety.  It's our new and improved laundry room!

Everything seems so natural the way it's configured now, like there's no other possible way to configure it.  Apparently there is another way, because this is how it looked before.

These notes are the ideas I had before I lived with the laundry room for awhile.  After I lived with it, I drastically changed my plans. 

The washer and dryer were "unstacked" so that I could better reach the clothes in the dryer. I'm not short (5'5"), but I had had to use a step stool in order to get everything out. A counter top was placed on top for folding clothes.  The old cabinets were removed and replaced by more functional cabinetry.

The bump out couldn't be eliminated because of the pipes located behind it, so it became a picture ledge for these sweet photos and hand prints I've had since my girls were babies.

 This tall cabinet houses all of my mops, brooms and rags.

This piece of artwork was the inspiration for the laundry room decorating scheme.

 I made this window treatment by hand using a piece of burlap I stenciled.

  Click here to see how I stenciled the burlap, and click here to see how I created the window treatment.

I wanted some open shelving above the sink, so I hit all of the local home improvement stores hoping to find a ready made wooden shelf that my contractor could cut and I could paint. Unfortunately, I didn't find any, but I did find these great stair treads that we used instead. Imagine my surprise when, in the September issue of HGTV magazine, Sarah Richardson used stair treads as open shelving in a kitchen remodel. She stole my idea! I hate it when she does that! Just kidding, of course. I'm sure I'm not even on Sarah's radar
.
These shelves give me the opportunity to display a few of my Arthur Court pieces that didn't fit anywhere else in the house, and the hyacinth baskets add texture while concealing light bulbs and Swiffer refills. The rod over the sink allows me to hang clothing to drip dry.

Do you remember the piece of abstract art I made? Click here to see how it did it.

A pretty tray given to me as a moving gift keeps a few laundry room supplies in place.
  
I even love my new hardware.


Would anyone like to guess what purpose this box serves?
  
It's something I consider to be a laundry room essential - a sock box.  This is where all of our lonely socks go to live until they find a mate.

The rug ties everything together.

In case you are curious, here are my sources for the items in the room:
  • Cabinets - Ikea (Adel)
  • Stair Tread Shelves, Hardware, Plant - Lowes
  • Rug - Home Emporium (also known as Southeastern Salvage or Discount Building Materials, depending on where you live)
  • Flower Art, Sock Box - Home Goods
That's it. It's small but functional thanks to the changes we made. I won't lie and say I love doing the laundry now, but a few small personal touches in the room make it a more pleasant experience.

If you are interested in seeing more laundry rooms, please visit Remodelaholic's Laundry and Mudroom Linkup.

Also linking to:

http://www.beneathmyheart.net/2012/08/best-diy-projects-of-august-linky-party-2/



UndertheTableandDreaming

Home Stories A2Z

TDC Before and After
shabby creek cottage




calm
A Thoughtful Place

31 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I love your laundry room transformation! Wow, you were really able to move things around and add some wonderful details. I love all of your accents; and those Arthur Court pieces are just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shenita! That means a lot coming from you - I've been following your blog and I really admire your style.

      Delete
  2. What a great transformation!! Love the creative touches and the organization you got into such a small space! Beautiful!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, thank you for the comment and thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. Your laundry room looks wonderful! I love the idea of sock box--might have to start that one in our laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think that everyone has that "lost sock issue." I wonder where they all go...

      Delete
  4. Your laundry turned out beautifully! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOOOOVE!!!! What a beautifully organized space! You did a fantastic job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a lovely reveal!! What a wonderful space to work in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the comment! Thak you for taking the time to visit my blog.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! This looks amazing, you did a phenomenal job!! I can't wait to get a big enough laundry room so I can unstack my washer/dryer and have a nice counter space for folding! Will definitely pin this for future reference! And too funny about your sock basket, I actually guessed what it was as I have one, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. That's so funny that you have a sock basket, too. Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  8. This is SO beautiful! I will be pinning it for inspiration when I get around to doing mine! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog through Thrifty Decor Chick. Your laundry room is just lovely! Can you please share the paint color? It may be just the thing I'm looking for. Apologies if this is somewhere in the post or on your blog and I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm sorry, I meant to include the color in the post. It is Sanctuary by Behr. I hope it works for you.

      Delete
  10. amazing! this is definitely more usable space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The room is only 77" wide, so I had to make every inch count.

      Delete
  11. Love the look of the new laundry room. I've been considering whether to get a stacked washer/dryer or not (I'm only 5' tall). I bought the same rug to use in my studio. I love it - so comfortable to stand on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for you. That being said, I looove having the washer/dryer unstacked, and the fact that I could put the counter on top was a bonus. Let me know what you decide.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Cheryl!
    Thank you for linking up your beautiful laundry room makeover to my monthly party.
    I am featuring your project in my next post.
    Thanks!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! You thought of everything and it looks so pretty. I love the little silver tray with pretties on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you get the granite counter top to hover like that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fantastic I don't even know which photo to show to feature tomorrow Congrats. So stunning. Would be very happy doing laundry in there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also interested in the countertop- is it real granite? If not where did you get it and approximately how much did it cost? Thank you! It looks incredible! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. he washer and dryer were "unstacked" so that I could better reach the clothes in the dryer. I'm not short



    Kitchen cabinets oklahoma city

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cheryl!
    I am a new follower. I love your style! This room is such an inspiration. My laundry room is...well...horrible! Lucky me, I've groaned hard enough over the years that my husband now does all the laundry FOR me (so glad I married that man!) However, outside of our washer/dryer, there are backpacks/coats for 3 kids, uniforms and gear for martial arts, soccer, dance...all in addition to my cleaning supplies and ironing board - and the room is SMALLER than yours. Ugh and yuck at the same time! Seeing this room gives me hope that I can have a pretty laundry room. Thanks for the inspiration - I'm on a mission now (probably to the disdain of said husband, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cheryl,
    This is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing you thoughts on this issue. Keep it up, looking forward to read another one in the future

    andrew
    college station kitchen remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the paint colour! What did you use?

    ReplyDelete