New House to Home: Stenciled Burlap Window Treatment            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Friday, August 31, 2012

Stenciled Burlap Window Treatment

Have you been sitting on the edge of your seat for the past week wondering what I made from that piece of burlap I stenciled  (click here to read how I did it)?  I'm sure your every waking moment has been spent thinking about it, so I'll end the suspense now.  I used my stenciled burlap to create a window treatment for our newly remodeled laundry room. 

I have used different variations of this simple window treatment in every house I've owned. As a matter of fact, in my kitchen I have the same window treatment with fewer pleats and a decorative cord hot glued to the top.

Although it was pretty simple to create, explaining the process to you is a bit of a challenge for me.  There's a reason I never became a teacher, and that's my inability to impart knowledge to others.  Basically this window treatment consists of a large rectangle of fabric and drapery lining sewn together on three sides and then stapled to a board.  Because the burlap has such a loose weave  and I didn't want the white drapery lining to show through, I put an additional layer of fabric in a color similar to the burlap in between the two.

What I did in a nutshell is staple each end of the fabric rectangle to the top of the board at the back of the side of the board (does that make any sense at all?). 

Then I stapled the center of the fabric to the top center of the board.  From there, I folded the fabric into box pleats at evenly spaced intervals and stapled the fabric to the top of the board.

Now, here's where it gets weird.  I like my pleats to be sharp and well defined, but I can't iron the fabric once it's mounted to the board.  So, I use my straightening iron!  Yes, the same one I use on my hair!
This little tool works amazingly well for this job.  I wonder what else it can do.
 
Once all my pleats were nice and crisp, I was ready to hang the valance.  I mounted the two L-backets to the wall and then screwed the board to the brackets.  Here's another look at the finished product.

I know this isn't a detailed tutorial on how to create this type of window treatment.  Like I said, I'm not a great teacher.  If you need more details, I'm sure you could do a Google search of board mounted window treatments or box pleat valances.

So there's yet another project finished in our laundry room.  Do you feel like I've been teasing you with little glimpses of the laundry room remodel?  I promise to do the big reveal next week.  In the mean time, have a great weekend!

Linking to:



TDC Before and After

6 comments:

  1. I love this! It's so cute, yet rustic! I am a little confused about the board and L-brackets, but I won't ask. I'll just google it. :) No seriously, I think I can figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Misti! I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I've done this project so many times that it's hard for me to explain. When I try to explain the steps, I keep leaving important things out because I just know to do them. If I come across a good tutorial, I'll be sure to pass it along.

      Delete
  2. OMG I can't believe you thought to use your hair straightening iron. That is the best. I love burlap and I love this idea. I'm your newest follower. Come check out my blog when you have a second. http://sister-number-5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good seamstress would probably iron in the pleats before assembling the window treatment, but that just takes too much time for me (and I'm not a good seamstress). lol. Thanks for stopping by and following. I will definitely check out your blog.

      Delete
  3. You really can’t take away the rustic effect of burlaps, no matter what way you make use of them. And I love what you did there! :) I suddenly got this image of an old uniformed soldier in my head when I saw it. It’s nice that you keep the folds. Thumbs up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I am thinking of making burlap curtains for a bathroom in my home. The bathroom is yellow, and the brown adds a bit of sophistication to the room.

    ReplyDelete