New House to Home: Fall Centerpiece with Burlap Wrapped Candles            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Monday, September 17, 2012

Fall Centerpiece with Burlap Wrapped Candles

Fall is in the air.  The high temperatures around here have dropped about fifteen degrees in the past ten days.  It is finally cool enough to sleep with the windows open.  I love that!  The pleasant days and crisp nights have me longing for the familiar autumn decor that always makes an appearance this time of year.  To satisfy my need for spicy colors and texture, I made this quick and easy centerpiece. 


The basic idea of the centerpiece is one I'm sure you've seen before.  Take a tray or bowl, add a few candles, and fill in the gaps with an interesting filler material.  I chose to use a tray I purchased at Target many years ago.  The over sized colored acorns came from Hobby Lobby, the small twig spheres are from Meijer, and the pine cones were all collected by my girls over the past few years.

I added my own twist to the basic candle tray centerpiece by wrapping the candles with burlap. 

I got the idea from the latest Pottery Barn catalog.
Gold Burlap Pillar Candles

I simply cut a piece of burlap big enough to wrap around the candle and overlap itself slightly, but a bit smaller than the height of the candle.  I've heard people complain that it's difficult to cut burlap in a straight line.  There's actually an easy trick that will ensure you get a straight line every time.  Just take your measurements and then make a small snip (about 1/4") at the edge where you want to cut.

Grab a thread from the cut edge and pull the entire thread out.


You'll be left with a straight line where you pulled the thread.  Use this line as your cutting guide.

Once I had my pieces cut, I just wrapped the candle in my burlap piece and ran a line of hot glue along the burlap as shown below:

To make the finished product more like the Pottery Barn product, I spray painted the burlap gold before attaching it to the candle, but the effect was hardly noticeably.  Perhaps it was the champagne shade of gold I chose.  The next time I try this I will use a bolder shade.

This festive centerpiece would be perfect for a small, casual dinner with friends.

As always, safety comes first.  Before wrapping your candles with the burlap, I recommend burning them for an hour or so.  That way, when you light them in the future, they will continue to burn downward where the original wax pool formed instead of burning outward.  Never leave these or any other candles burning unattended.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my first centerpiece of the season.  I hope you'll visit me again over the next few days as I continue preparing my home for fall.

Linking to:

IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

The Lettered Cottage

shabby creek cottage
Home Stories A2Z



30 comments:

  1. Cheryl, what a cute centerpiece! I love Pottery Barn; and their fall catalog had some great items! You did a great job. Love those acorns from HL...I put some in my coffee table centerpiece. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the encouragement, Shenita! I really appreciate that you take the time to visit my blog.

      Delete
  2. I love the burlap wrapped candles. Beautiful centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Pat! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This is very pretty and calming. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your burlap candles! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful centerpiece, really classic. I've wrapped candles in burlap before too and used thumb tacks to hold in place. Burlap makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the burlap, it's my latest obsession. I'll have to try your thumb tack trick - maybe they'll give the candles a nailhead trim effect. Pretty!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! This caught my eye on the link party,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the tip on how to get a straight line cut from the burlap. The lady that cut the burlap I purchased the other day would benefit from this tip too. :0)
    Your centerpiece looks very nice and Fall'ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so great. I love the mix of textures you achieved, but the mostly monochromatic palate keeps it from looking too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks gorgeous and absolutely perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very very pretty! I'm in the mid-west too! Omaha :)

    Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so lovely!! Amazing how simple things can turn out so stunning, huh? I'm including this in a "5 for Friday" round-up of Fall Burlap Projects at my blog this week, including one pic and a link back to this post. I also pinned this to my Fall board. Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for including my project in your feature! I can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  12. I like how much texture this centerpiece has. With all the filler and the candles being wrapped, it is so rustic and warm for fall. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Fall projects using burlap! it's the best, nubby texture! Great project and beautiful arrangement! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl...loving these burlap wrapped candles. So easy and I love the fun texture that only Fall can bring! Found you from Hi Sugarplum's Feature today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your centerpiece! I may have to try this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful centerpiece! I love the addition of the burlap and the warm fall feel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! So often you see burlap on mason jars and its good to know that it is also a great to know how great it works directly on the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have done this before but really like the idea of painting them gold. Your table looks beautiful and inviting!I am also a new follower!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. While candles are a great addition to a fall centerpiece, the open flame in close contact with burlap poses a safety risk. Even with the best safety precautions, it's both wise and recommended to keep your candles free from any flammable materials. To read more on fire safety and candles, check out the National Candle Association’s website: http://candles.org/fire-safety-candles/.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful! I love the fact that it is portable - I like having something on my table, but need to be able to move it frequently. This fits the bill perfectly. I will switch to LED candles for safety reasons. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete