New House to Home: Fall Decorating Home Tour            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall Decorating Home Tour

Happy Tuesday, everyone!  I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.  We certainly did around here. We celebrated a few birthdays, had our first fire of the fall (complete with hot dogs and s'mores), and spent some time getting our home ready for the cooler weather.  I know that it's been fall in blogland for at least a month, but I have a hard time getting into the spirit until the temperatures drop.  The fact that the local stores weren't even selling pumpkins until late last week didn't help, either. Well, now that the calendar officially says it's fall and the temperatures have dropped enough for the local television stations to issue an overnight frost warning, I am finally excited for the season!  I've started decorating my home for fall, and I'd like to take you on a quick tour.

Let's look at the exterior first.  The front door sets the tone for what you'll find inside.


The grass in this planter is the only thing left from a summer arrangement.  It was surrounded by petunias then.  The petunias are long gone (probably due to the fact that I totally neglected them), but I thought the straw-like grass would look great surrounded by some autumn decor.  I used some artificial pumpkins and flowers from Hobby Lobby, along with a few real gourds.  There's a funny story behind the gourds.  This summer I planted what I thought was the type of yellow squash I like to sautee and eat, but the plant produced these crazy looking gourds.  I had absolutely no idea how to cook them, or if they were even edible, so I decided to put them in my planters.  We'll call it a happy accident.

If you decide to enter the house through the garage, here's what you'll see at the end of the driveway:
Hooray!  Pumpkins are finally available in this area!  These were purchased at Kroger.  The large one was $3.99, and the "pie pumpkin" was $1.69.  All of the mums were purchased at Home Depot for $4.99. 

This fun pumpkin patch sign was a Home Goods find.  It cost $14.99.  I'm not sure it was designed for outdoor use.  I think I need to top it off with a protective coating.

When you enter the house, you'll see this simple yet beautiful lamp on the console table in the entry way.
I found this about a year ago at Big Lots.  I have a more expensive fillable glass lamp from Pottery Barn, but I like this one better because the large opening offers more versatility as far as what you can put into it.  I usually keep artificial artichokes in it.
 
Moving into the great room, I have my mantle decked out with artificial pumpkins and gourds.  
 
I've had them all so long, I'm not sure where they came from.  Most of them are ceramic.  A few of them have Old Time Pottery stickers on the bottom, along with a 99 cent price tag.


If you look closely, you can see I used the old "candy corn in the candle holder" trick. 
 
 
I got these candle holders at Target a long time ago.  I think they might still sell them.  The dried grasses and the large pumpkins were purchased at Hobby Lobby last year.

Of course I made sure that plenty of pillows and cozy throws are available for cuddling up on the couch on chilly fall evenings.
 
In the kitchen I added a few fall accents to the display that sits on my island.
 
You may have seen this centerpiece with burlap wrapped candles before.  I'm thrilled that it is being pinned and featured on other blogs.  You can read about how I made it here.
I keep moving it from the screened in porch to the kitchen and back again.  I'm not sure where I like it better.  Maybe I just need to make another one.
 
I usually don't bring out the Halloween decorations until October, but these guys are so cute that I want to enjoy them for as long as possible. 
 
Read about how to make your own Ballard inspired chandelier magnets here.
 
Here's the view from the kitchen as you look toward the mantel.
I got this arrangement at Sam's Club many, many years ago.  It's held up quite well.
 
Finally, here's a view of the great room in its entirety.
Sorry about the pitiful photography.  I'm working hard to improve.
 
It was a busy weekend getting ready for fall, but I'm so glad everything is done.  It makes me want to plop down next to a cozy fire with a warm cup of hot chocolate and my favorite blanket.  What have you done to get ready for the season?
 
Linking to:
 
 
 
Today's Creative Blog
 
fall mantel party centsational girl
 
Home Stories A2Z
 
Fall Party


 

17 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I love your fall decor. Your entry and driveway are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, i love this whole thing! the bench with the pumpkins (great price on them!) the textures in your home with the baskets...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl - It looks like you have done a fabulous job making your house a home! Your front door is beautiful!! I have always firmly believed that a house becomes a home when you put those you love in it <3 But it is so fun to doll it up!!
    I am new to the blogging world and am looking forward to following you! :)

    Many Blessings - Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara! I am fairly new to blogging also - we can figure it all out together. I just looked at page one of your blog, and it is amazing! Thanks for visiting and following!

      Delete
  4. Cheryl - looks great! What does Gordon think of all these decorations? ML

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fall decor is lovely!! I especially love the bench, with the pumpkins sign! So cute! I'm your newest follower, and I would love for you to stop by and follow me back! Cheers ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phi there, everything looks great! I found your blog via the Centsational blog party. I am a new follower. Hugs, Shelly from www.shellybailey.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your Fall decor! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    its really nice post. i apprentice for your post. thanks for shearing it with
    us. keep it up.
    Bathroom Remodeling Arlington VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! Everything is beautiful but that front door is something else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!! Everything looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl really you have done a great job. Final view which you have hsown in this blog was awesome and i wish i could make as beautiful. Your blog will also help me to make my home beautiful


    Powder Coating Machines India

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fall decorating home tour is shown on the post her.e have a look at it

    ReplyDelete