New House to Home: Easy, Inexpensive Artwork            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Easy, Inexpensive Artwork

What teenage girls isn't intrigued by shoes, handbags, and make-up? I haven't met many. Why not satisfy her desire for pretty things without going shopping? Magazine advertisements make great artwork, and they're a whole lot cheaper than a new purse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't encourage my daughter to obsess over material things, but some of these ads are as pretty as any artwork I've seen. 
 I used these Ikea Ribba aluminum-look frames.
 $9.99 Each

These three magazine pages suit the coral color scheme in my daughter's room, and they look great in the Ikea frames. I love the way the metal-look frames complement the metal look on drawer fronts (see that project here). At just $9.99 for each piece of 12" x 16" artwork, I'd say we got ourselves a bargain.


I remember being a teenager and tearing the pages out of my favorite magazines.  The entire back side of my bedroom door was a collage of pictures (mostly cute puppies and Duran Duran).  My mom hated it, but I felt it was a way to personalize my space.  By putting those pictures in a frame, your teen can express his or her personality in a more sophisticated way (although I think my parents would have thought I'd lost my mind if I had asked them to frame my Duran Duran pictures - lol).   This idea could be adapted to suit  boys as well by framing pages of an old comic book, Sports Illustrated or Scout Handbook. Really, this idea could be adapted in so many ways to fit into any room of the house. 

So, have you framed the pages of a favorite book or an old magazine?  If so, leave your link in the comments - I would love to check it out!

Linking to:

TDC Before and After

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl, that's just a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so ingenious! Really great idea. And I just love those colors!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I thought about this before? You are a genius! -Patrick Tan

    ReplyDelete