New House to Home: Easy Stenciled Burlap Christmas Pillows            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Friday, November 30, 2012

Easy Stenciled Burlap Christmas Pillows

Well, I'm slowly but surely making progress decorating the house for Christmas.  I'm not ready to show you everything yet, but I do want to share an easy holiday craft I did today.  If you have even the most basic sewing skills, you too can make a set of stenciled burlap pillows.

Here's a look at the supplies you'll need.
Supply List for Two Pillows:  Letter stencils (I got mine from Hobby Lobby), acrylic paint, tape, scissors, thread, paint pouncers, and 1 yard of fabric.  Not pictured, spray adhesive (I used Elmer's) and a pillow form.

You probably can't tell from the above photo, but my burlap has metallic gold threads running through it!
It cost waaaay more than the basic burlap at JoAnn's, but I figure I'm saving a lot by making my own pillows, so I can justify spending more on the fabric.  It's only one yard.

After gathering your supplies, you'll need to measure and cut your fabric.  Measure the length and width of your pillow form, and add one inch to each measurement for your seam allowance.  This is the size of the piece of fabric you'll cut.  You'll need two pieces (a front and a back) for each pillow you are making.  My pillow form measured 13.5 inches buy 20 inches, so I cut 14.5" x 21" pieces.  I was making two pillows, so I cut four pieces.  Click here to see how to cut burlap in a straight line.

Next is the fun part - stenciling.  In order to keep your design centered, you should find and mark the center of your fabric.  A water soluble marking pen would be ideal for this, but I couldn't find one, so I used tape and a pen.

In a well ventilated area, spray the back side of your stencils with the adhesive.  Follow the directions on the can to achieve a repositionable hold.

Figure out what will be the center of your word or design, and position that area over the center mark you made.  I chose to stencil the word "JOLLY," so my center was the first letter L. 

Once your stencil is securely in place, remove your tape.  Dip your pouncer lightly in the paint, and begin to gently tap it onto the fabric.  When you have your first letter filled in, move on to the next, and so on.

When you're finished stenciling, it's time to sew the pillow together.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the sewing process, but it's very basic.  You just put the front and back of your fabric together, with the right sides of the fabric facing one another.  In other words, the stencil will be on the inside and you shouldn't see it.

Then, sew the top and two sides together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  When you are ready to sew the bottom edge, leave about 10 inches  (depending on how wide your pillow is) along the center of the bottom edge unsewn so that you can insert your pillow form. 
Insert your pillow form and sew the bottom edge shut by hand and you're finished.  You've got yourself a unique holiday pillow that looks like it was purchased from a high end catalog store.

To complement my green "JOLLY" pillow, I made a red "HOLLY" pillow.
I really wish the pictures showed the metallic detail of the burlap.  It really makes the pillows special.


I just love my new Holly Jolly Pillows, but that's not all I've been doing around here to prepare for Christmas.  I hope you'll check back over the next week to see my family room and mantel, dining room, and exterior.  I can't wait to share everything else with you!

Linking to:




 
 



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 
 
UndertheTableandDreaming

Home Stories A2Z

XmasCheer2012-220x275

 




Today's Creative Blog
holiday home link parties

8 comments:

  1. Love your sweet stenciled burlap pillow. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love burlap! this turned out great.

    -Tiara

    http://icecreamandfrenchfries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I love the glitter in the burlap (totally worth the extra money hehe) :) Saw your post on the Christmas Cheer link up and figured I'd stop on by! So glad I did, love your blog and excited to follow along!! :)

    Shannon
    Fabulously Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! Great job on the tutorial! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl, I found you over at Coastal Charm. This is a great tutorial, and your pillows turned out so nicely. I love how the fabric has a gold thread running through it, and that you used red on one pillow and green on the other. Great job!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the font of the stencil you used! I'm sure the metallic burlap looks really nice in your room.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pillows and the burlap with the gold is perfect for Christmas. I'm so glad I found you. Visiting from Centsational Girl's party.

    ReplyDelete