New House to Home: Teen Girl's Room Reveal (Finally!)            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Teen Girl's Room Reveal (Finally!)

Finally!  Here it is in it's entirety.  It's the teen girl's room that I've been working on for what seems like forever.  I'm sure you're tired of hearing about it, so I'll get right to the point.
In this shot you can see the pretty coral and gray bedding that Abigail selected for her room.  You also see several DIY projects including the framed magazine pages and the stainless steel look dressers.
 
Click here to read about how I added the decorative panels to this dresser.
 


This shot is very similar, but here you can see the (super small) closet and Abigail's rustic magnetic board.  The board was a fun gift from a friend that allows Abigail to post important information and pictures of friends.
This board was made by Matchstix.


You can't see it in these photos, but I added ribbon trim to the bed skirt so that it would tie into the rest of the bedding.

You may remember the curtains I embellished to coordinate with the color scheme.
I filled the space in the corner with an oversized mirror that is perfect for the frequent wardrobe checks that are a part of every teen girl's morning.

Every teenage girl needs a place to be creative and do her homework.  Abigail has this desk (for now).
The truth is, this desk is too big for the small room.  In our previous house, Abigails' room was HUGE, bigger than my room, so there was plenty of space for this desk.  She probably has half the space in this room, so this desk is destined for Craigslist.  Can you see how close it is to the bed?  We really need to get her something smaller.

Here's the lamp I customized to go with the coral bedding...

and the storage box I made to conceal some of the many things a teenager needs to get through the day.
You may be asking why she has four bottles of glitter spray on her desk. I have no clue.   Ninety percent of what teenage girls do is a mystery to me, and this is no exception.

I bought a few inexpensive coral bowls to corral teen necessities like sunglasses (see above) and iPods and phones.
 
A fun little piece of homemade computer generated artwork looks great in a metallic frame and coordinates with the room's color scheme.
The stainless steel theme is featured throughout the room in frames, the dresser drawer fronts, lamps, and curtain rods.

Looking around at the room now, it's hard to believe that just two months ago it looked like this:
Very cute, but a bit more juvenile than what my thirteen year old wanted.

And now it looks like this:

Wow, what a difference!  I'm thrilled with the way it turned out!!  I wish I had a dozen daughters so I could always be redecorating a girl's room (umm... not really - the two I have keep me on my toes). 

Here is my source list in case you are interested in any of the products I used.

Coral and gray bedding, bed skirt - Bed Bath & Beyond
Ribbon used on bed skirt - JoAnn's
White coverlet, coral bowls, small black and white box - Marshalls
Bedside lamp, stainless steel fan - Home Goods
Chihuahua pillow, lamp on desk - Target
Dressers next to bed, wall frames - Ikea
Decorative panels on dressers - myoverlays.com
Oversized mirrors, tabletop frames - Garden Ridge
Wall paint - Sherwin Williams (Passive)
Fabric on lampshades and curtains - housefabric.com
@ sign on desk - TJMaxx (spray painted with brushed nickel paint)

Linking to:

UndertheTableandDreaming

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Home Stories A2Z
 

HookingupwithHoH shabby creek cottage

Share Your Creations
 
 


TDC Before and After

29 comments:

  1. look just beautiful. Where did you bought the desk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desk came from a furniture store called Haverty's. Thanks for looking!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is just gorgeous. I love the color scheme. It's so grown up, yet it still has a youthful feel. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's exactly the look we were going for!

      Delete
  3. I love it! My almost 14-year-old daughter wants to go from pink/black to coral and turquoise. This is the perfect inspiration bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a pretty and soft look. Love the color palettes and for the first time white doesn't look boring. Awesome work!

    I would love it if you link this up to link party on my blog :)
    http://believeninspire.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/show-me-whacha-got-saturdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is just gorgeous! Love the orange and grey together!!! Thanks for linking up.
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. The design of this room is just lovely and I'm sure will last her right through her teens! Well done! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the colors - if I had a daughter instead of two sons I would totally do her room in these colors. The trim to the nightstands is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful bedroom! I am currently working on a makeover for a tween room, lots of inspiration here, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a perfect room for a teen girl! I love the ribbon trim on the bed skirt. The little matching lamp shades are also great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Sophisticated, grown up and perfectly comfy. You've done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks fabulous! we are in the process of figuring out a new decor scheme for our daughter. Beautiful makeover, and the 'before' was incredible too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! I was sold with the chihuahua pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now, this is the way you should hang art work above a curved headboard. What you did here is absolutely pleasing to the eye.

    Beautiful bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!! You've done an amazing job. She must love her new room. =)

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you know the name of the bedding set or who made it? I've been looking for something exactly like that for my daughter, but I can't find it on the bed bath and beyond website. Thanks! The room is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolutely gorgeous transformation. The room looks amazing. I'm sure your daughter is thrilled with her new room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this color combo and the fabric patterns! The dressers are fab too! Great job! :) Found you through Southern Hospitality's Link Up! Newest follower!

    - April Hoff
    housebyhoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  19. It looks absolutely amazing! i love it!
    I like the bed and i'm thinking of getting a similar one made(redecorating my room) and was wondering if you could (if it's not too much trouble) help me with the measurments!!?
    (email: sourayasouissi02@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  20. For over a year now I've been begging my oldest daughter(9) to let us makeover her bedroom(still done in the nursery theme from when she was born!) but she likes it the way it is. I love this room as an inspiration! I re-did the younger one's bedroom in the fall so now my eyes are fixed on the next one:)
    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! (is cute ok to say for a teenager's room?) Seriously, though, it's beautiful. I would have LOVED a room like this when I was that age. I'm especially digging that night stand.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! I love the coral accents and how you repeated the cross/x pattern everywhere... especially that nightstand! Also love the bedskirt with the horizontal stripe. :) Just fantastic!

    Newest follower. Would LOVE for you to stop by at toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Handbags N Pigtails, I have a newly 10 year old daughter with the exact same issue! Drives me crazy that everything in her room is old and worn, but I guess she's saving me from myself. My question for the author is: how much input did your daughter have in her room? I also have a 14 year old who loves to decorate, but our tastes aren't always the same. Did she pick the bedding and you took it from there? I am very excited to have found this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, my daughter picked out the comforter set and also specified that she wanted solid white curtains. After that I just showed her different options and she told me which ones she liked. Thanks for stopping by. Let me know if you update either of your daughters' rooms - I would love to see!

      Delete
  24. Olá
    Achei maravilhosas suas ideias.Obrigada por compartilhar.
    abraços

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful room! Thanks for all of the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete