New House to Home: Transitioning from Christmas to New Year's Eve            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Friday, December 28, 2012

Transitioning from Christmas to New Year's Eve

Christmas came and went in the blink of an eye, and now it's time to get ready for the new year. Do you have any big plans for New Year's Eve?  We aren't doing much here. Our little family of four will spend the evening together, and it's possible that we may be joined by a few teenage girls. Despite the small group, I want to make things special.  So that I don't have spend a lot of time, money and energy getting things ready, I kept a few Christmas decorations out and spruced them up to welcome the new year.

This little console table will serve as a snack bar for the evening.  The white dishware works well with the metallic accents. The silver stars came from my July 4th decorating stash.

My apothecary jar was filled with colorful glass ornaments for Christmas.

For New Year's Eve, the colorful ornaments were replaced by gold and silver balls. 

On December 31st, the cake platter that we used to serve our monkey bread on Christmas morning will be used to serve sausage, cheese and crackers.
 Christmas

New Year's Eve

All things shiny are appropriate on a New Year's table. This glittery pine cone tree transitions well from Christmas to New Year's Eve.

Candy wrapped in gold and silver foil is in keeping with the metallic theme of the table. I know the teenage girls will love the chocolate, although I will not love cleaning up the wrappers they are sure to leave all over the house. :)

Adding cookies to the table instantly takes the day from ordinary to extraordinary.  Naturally, I'll put a few out for our intimate celebration.

On our kitchen table, I gave the floral centerpiece a makeover by removing the red (and dying) flowers, adding gold ornaments and ting ting, and replacing the red candles with gold candles.  I also replaced the red ornaments in the hurricanes with gold and silver ornaments.
Christmas
 
New Year's Eve
 
One last great idea for a New Year's Eve party is to have each of the guests write their resolutions on a chalkboard.
Notice how I say that we will "have" a healthy dinner five nights per week.  I intentionally avoided saying that I would "cook" five nights per week.

I plan to take pictures of our resolutions so we can see how we did at the end of 2013.  We may be reveling in our successes as we usher in 2014, but more than likely we'll just have a good laugh.

I hope I've given you a few ideas to easily make New Year's Eve a bit more special at your house.  Do you have any quick, simple or inexpensive ways to transition your décor from Christmas to New Year's Eve?  We still have a few days to prepare, so I'd love it if you would share your ideas.

 
 
Linking To:
 
 
 
 
UndertheTableandDreaming

6 comments:

  1. I love how you transitioned! That's what I'm trying to do, so it's nice to see it done so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  2. Love the way you did everything... simple and sweet! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I also love your cleverly worded resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love decorating with gold & silver for New Year's. And you've done a beautiful job in your transition!
    Happy New Year!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete