New House to Home: 2012 Home Improvement Goals - How Did We Do?            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Home Improvement Goals - How Did We Do?

At the beginning of 2012, before I made the blog available for everyone to see, I set some home improvement goals for myself.  Going into the new year, I thought it would be beneficial to review the original goals and celebrate my success and analyze my shortcomings. 

1)  Update the downstairs powder room. 
 
My taste leans more toward the traditional, a style which I would have to guess appeals to the majority of home buyers (or at least is minimally offensive to most home buyers).  As you can see in the picture below, the original powder room did not reflect my style at all.
 

The specific action items I had included:
  • Replace the vanity with a taller one and replace the distracting sink with with an undermount sink.  Replacing the vanity and sink will also require replacing the faucet.
  • Replace the lights on the side walls with more traditional lighting.  Also move the lighting to the sink area where it better serves it's purpose.  It's difficult to check your hair or see what you're doing when washing your hands if the lighting isn't in the right place.
  • Remove and possibly replace the tile backsplash.  As it stands, the backsplash looks like an afterthought.
I'm happy to report that I managed to complete all the items on the list.  I haven't yet shown you the complete powder room redo, but you may recall getting a tiny sneak peek when I showed you my Christmas d├ęcor.
Yes, that's beadboard and a new sink you're seeing.  I'm thrilled with the way everything turned out.  I'll reveal the complete powder room soon.
 
 
2)  Reconfigure the laundry room.
 
Here is how the laundry room looked when we first moved into the house.

As you can see, I made some notes on the photograph documenting my ideas for reconfiguring the space.  After living with and using the laundry room for awhile, I came up with some even better ideas, and had the laundry room redone in July.  Here's how it looks now:
 
 
 
It functions so much better for us with the washer and dryer being side-by-side, and I enjoy looking at the pretty additions like my Arthur Court collection and the photographs of my girls when they were little.  If you want more details on the laundry room makeover, click here.

 
3)  Incorporate  more one of a kind, unique, or personal items to all of my spaces. 
 
This isn't exactly a measurable goal, but I think I've done a fairly good job of meeting it.  So far, I have been decorating the new house with an eye toward resale.  That being said, I have used a lot of neutral paint colors and uninspired fixtures.  Yes, I want the spaces to appeal to a majority of future potential buyers, but I'd also like the personalities of our family members to be reflected in our home.  I think I've accomplished this through many of the DIY projects I've worked on throughout the year.  Here are a few examples:
 





Wow, I can't believe I accomplished them all!  I think the secret to achieving your goals is to make them measurable and breaking them down into smaller, less overwhelming action items.  Now, while I'm feeling good about what I've accomplished in 2012, I should sit down and figure out what I'd like to get done in 2013.  Look for that post in the next few days. 
 
So, how did you do in 2012?  Did you accomplish any of your goals?  If you accomplished even one of them, you should be proud.  If not, remember that today is a new day (and new year) full of new possibilities and opportunities.  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and 2013 may be the year that you take that first step.  

41 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved that quote at the bottom of your post - thank you! You've had some great goals too, and each one of your projects have turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I'm so glad you stopped by today!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have so many great projects! Love your laundry room, which is a project I want to do also. Thanks for stopping by Finding Fabulous the other day! Love your site btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Finding Fabulous! I'm so excited that you took the time to stop by my blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had some great goals too, and each one of your projects have turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the beginning of 2012, before I made the blog available for everyone to see, I set some home improvement goals for myself.
    Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blast! Besides having a great grasp of perspective, what a great…grasp of perspective…such artists have to pour so much heart into something so ephemeral.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a nice, medium-sized backyard--it was, indeed, one of the things that drew us to the house in the first place (it didn't otherwise show particularly well, it was only because we looked past some of the more glaring. home wool insulation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each and every individuals have got distinct principles in relation to their home designs or perhaps residence advancements nevertheless typically if they usually are wanting to know your dream house Builder Business they would like to notice their particular test homes that will they've got developed a great idea upon what sort of style that they are looking for. Nice post!

    New Homes in Durham

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. View Point Windows

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely blog, I love it so much. thanks for sharing.
    Painters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks meant for sharing this type of satisfying opinion, written piece is fastidious, that’s why I’ve read it completely.
    StunningLofts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic way is amusing, continue the good work! Look Here

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admired your helpful words. Top class contribution. I really hope you’ll write more. I'll continue looking for. WV50

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These blogs are quite incredible that have provided the best knowledge. www.moldinsurancecoverage.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurrah, that’s what I was trying to get for, just what a stuff Presented at this blog!! Thanks admin of the site.
    loft conversions surrey

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd be trampled if all sites gave articles like these awesome articles. designers wallpaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every day I visit a number of blog sites to see content, however this offers quality based content. Rubber Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the home improvement ideas it really work well, the blog has much informative stuff.
    Stav

    ReplyDelete
  20. Home improvement ideas are really helpful and I got too many ideas from reading your blog.
    loft conversions london

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your post. Your post is very nice. Interesting and important information for this post. Home improvement ideas is better ideas for another ideas. I glad to read it and thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice blog. Thank you very much for sharing.

    Garage door installation

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.

    residential roofing in Delray Beach

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your post about "2012 Home Improvement Goals - How Did We Do? " very nice post. It is very help full.I do appreciate about this post & this blog ... :)

    deck patio

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree that home improvement goals can only be achieved if you keep them attainable; I loved the photos of your home that you have shared.
    Performance Log

    ReplyDelete
  26. Placing some of your favourite items on a place where you can see them every day will certainly make you happy. It is very important to improve those rooms as the laundry room, the basement and the loft as well in order to make your house look good at the end when you are done with all the renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This technology allows the designer to come up with a cutting-edge design making sure that each tile is unique. water softener reviews

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thumbs up guys you are really carrying out a great job. Stunning Loft Creations

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have visited many places but this post has tempted me really the goals you have are really appreciative. Thanks for such nice post
    Cheap sofas

    ReplyDelete
  30. Having a double glazed windows is one home improvement you can do. All I can say is you can benefit a lot from double glazing windows in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fascinating information I haven’t been experienced such information in quite a long time.
    Valance Sheets

    ReplyDelete
  32. Each time I used to always check blog posts within the first hours in the break of day, because I like to get information increasingly more.
    Duvet covers

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow,,,,,your home improvement blog touched my heart so much,,,,,

    Genie garage door opener



    ReplyDelete
  34. I made it a goal this year to do some extensive renovations to my own home. One of the things that I did was put in some spiral stairs because that is something that I have always wanted to implement into my home. It is one of the many goals that I completed for my house this year. I'm even coming up with a list of what to do in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your blogs are easily accessible and quite enlightening so keep doing the amazing work guys.best furniture hanover

    ReplyDelete
  36. Waooow!!! Magnificent blogs, this is what I wanted to search. Thanks buddy
    sdwaterdamagepros.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! affordable whole life insurance

    ReplyDelete
  38. In terms of home improvement to use interior so you could see the Traditional Area Rugs of your interior place. I am very amazed by the information of this blog and i am glad i had a look over the blog.

    Traditional Area Rugs

    ReplyDelete
  39. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
    Stratton Exteriors Windows Nashville

    ReplyDelete