New House to Home: Powder Room Redo            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Powder Room Redo

 
*************************************

You may recall that one of my home improvement goal for 2012 was to give our very contemporary powder room a facelift to suit my tastes.  I'm happy to report that I managed to accomplish the goal, even if it was during the very last month of the year.  Do you remember how it looked before?

Yep, that's pretty much how it looked when we moved in, although the previous owners had replaced the space-age mirror before we took ownership.  If you've seen any of the rooms in my house, you know that this powder room is not even close to my style.  My to-do list included the following:
  • Replace the vanity with a taller one and replace the distracting sink with an undermount sink.  Replacing the vanity and sink will also require replacing the faucet.
  • Replace the lights on the side walls with more traditional lighting.  Also move the lighting to the sink area where it better serves it's purpose.  It's difficult to check your hair or see what you're doing when washing your hands if the lighting isn't in the right place.
  • Remove and possibly replace the tile backsplash.  As it stands, the backsplash looks like an afterthought.
I managed to get everything on my list done, and as an added bonus, I had beadboard installed.  Here's what it looks like now:

Ahhh...I can't get over the change!  It's much more reflective of my personality and style now.  I feel that the new vanity had the biggest impact in changing the feel of the space.  I purchased this one from Lowes.com for $379, including the top.  We had it installed in July, and so far it seems like a really great product, especially for the price. 
Click here for more details.
 
The mirror we installed above the vanity came from Home Depot (sorry, I couldn't find a link to the mirror).  I believe it was the Martha Stewart brand, and it cost around $69.  The light fixture above the mirror isn't necessarily my favorite, but I had it on hand from some changes I made in the master bathroom (more on that in a future post).  I had it installed in the powder room to save some money.  The towel ring and toilet paper holder are from Target.
 
The faucet was purchased from my local Lowes store.
 
After having the vanity, lighting, faucet and mirror replaced in July, I sat around for four months trying to decide on what color to paint the whole room.  At some point in late October, I decided that beadboard might look good.  I even entertained the idea of installing it myself, but then the reality of my limitations set in, and I contacted a local contractor.  He worked on it and a few other things around the house, and finally finished up just one day before my parents came to visit in December.  Whew!  Talk about cutting it close.
 
I chose the wall color, Basket Beige by Sherwin Williams, to coordinate with this framed print I picked up at Home Goods.  Right now, it's one of my favorite things in the house.
This image doesn't do it justice.
 
I also purchased this custom monogram from Scrappin Plus for the wall above the back of the toilet.  I wanted to paint it to match the grey-green frame on the Home Goods print, and I attempted to custom mix the color using paints I had in the garage.  Ummm...it didn't quite match perfectly, but it's close enough.

Whoops, that's not at all straight.  Don't worry, it was attached with Command Picture Hanging strips, so I adjusted it with no problems.
 
A plant adds some life to the space.
 
A Target throw rug that ties together the beige, grey-green, and white that are featured throughout the space was the finishing touch.
 
It took longer than I thought, mostly because of my indecisiveness, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I also like the neutral backdrop of the basket beige paint and the white beadboard.  Keeping the backdrop neutral gives me the flexibility to easily change up the d├ęcor when I get the urge.  Hopefully that won't be too soon, but you never know...
 
Linking To:
 

http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/

 
 
  HookingupwithHoH

shabby creek cottage  

http://www.itsoverflowing.com/

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Life on Lakeshore Drive 

 
UndertheTableandDreaming    Home Stories A2Z

 
Today's Creative Blog  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia    TDC Before and After

31 comments:

  1. Mixing paint never ends well does it? Iv been through the same thing! I like the new look, especially the mirror very stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your bathroom turned out and I have been dying to get one of those gorgeous monograms too! Nice job!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl! Your bathroom is so cute and I LOVE that monogram. I'm going to go check out scrappin plus, thanks for sharing!

    I'm having a GOOGLE + Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your Google +. If you don't have Google + it's ok, come link up your blog or favorite post.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/google-social-hop.html


    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week beginning in January. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning looking room. Love it so much...because my bathrooms also have beadboard walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great before and after! I love what you've done. The vanity is pretty, the mirror gorgeous and I love that monogram on the wall!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! I can't believe that print came from Home Goods...it looks like you got it at an antique store somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, love this powder room. I love the print and the initial ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! So much more calm and inviting now! I love the mirror too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. New follower from DebbieDoos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really did a beautiful job! I love the new vanity. (that red sink was something!) :)

    It looks amazing!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bathroom looks great! Love the monogram. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your style and your bathroom makeover turned out great! I'm in the process of updating my mudroom with beadboard wall paper and I really liked the traditional look you gave your bathroom with the beadboard.

    I found you from Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm and I'm your newest follower.

    Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful styling, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this!! So very pretty! Thanks for linking up
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous redo! It looks so pretty. I love the monogram! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week! I hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much better! It is so bright and fresh feeling! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks beautiful! I love the monogram and your print! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely makeover! You got it just right!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cheryl, what a difference you've made in that powder room! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it looks fabulous! In looking at the before pics, don't you wonder what the previous tenants were thinking? :) You have created a spa like space.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous redo! I LOVE the beadboard and your new sink. I have a very similar monogram, except mine is from Southern Nest. Gotta love Etsy! Thanks for sharing. New follower!

    Would love for you to stop by and check out our blog:
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/01/aviation-themed-baby-shower.html

    Visiting from Home Stories A to Z. :)

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  24. Soo gorgeous. Would love to invite you to join our linky party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party-49/ and show it off to our readers. It's sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job on the bathroom redo! We pinned the photo of the Martha Stewart mirror on The Home Depot's Bathroom Inspiration board on Pinterest.

    -Craig, from The Home Depot

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah, you bad!...that means good! Mish

    ReplyDelete
  27. What I mean is, it looks awesome! Also, I like your new banner at the top of the page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, I love this monogram and I want it! You have done beautiful work. Wanna be just like you when I grow up.
    http://fitandbeyond40.com

    ReplyDelete