New House to Home: Cleaning Mold in Tile Grout            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Cleaning Mold in Tile Grout


There is nothing pretty about this post.  No eye-candy, no jaw-dropping before-and-after photos.  Just the reality of a bathroom being used by two teenage girls.  For those of you who have teen and preteen girls, you know what I'm talking about.  Not only does it get messy, but sometimes it gets downright gross!  Such is the case with my daughters' shower.  I recently found a small spot of mold in it that, as hard as I tried, I just couldn't scrub away.  Fast forward about two months, and that one small spot had turned into this:

Despite the fact that I regularly clean the tub and shower, and even have everything professionally cleaned every other week, these little moldy lines made their way the whole way around the tub.  My search for a solution lead me to this post from Modern Day Moms (MDM).  I modified MDM's instructions to utilize what I had on hand, which happened to be bleach and sponges.


After changing into some old clothing and rubber gloves, I cut my sponges into strips and soaked them in a disposable pan (MDM advises us to avoid using plastic) filled with bleach.  I then placed the bleach soaked strips all along the offending area (basically the whole tub) and let them sit for about two hours.

When I removed the sponges, I had this:

The mold was completely gone!  Not bad for two minutes worth of work.  I finished by rinsing off the bleach and then drying the area.

I'm hoping to stay on top of our mold issues in the future, but if it somehow gets ahead of me, I'll know just what to do.

6 comments:

  1. I love posts like this! I'm a cleaning freak, so I always like to find new ways to clean. :) I never thought of cutting up the sponges and soaking them in bleach first. Brilliant! I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for future reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't use bleach, but I'm desperate to get rid of the mold (or is it mildew?) in our shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It really did the work. Getting mold out of tubs and grouts are really hard work since they just keep coming back, and they can be dangerous to our health as well. Teenagers really are sloppy in keeping their areas clean and it really takes a lot to clean their areas. Good for you to have found an easy way to clean grouts.
    Gail Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bathrooms are one of the hardest places in our homes or offices that are so hard to keep clean! Very helpful post, thank you for sharing!
    Patrick Tan

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Cheryl! Molds are truly gross and should be taken care of right away. It's an eye sore and may cause allergic reactions to tenants. Molds could easily form in between crevices that makes it harder to remove. Following these tips you shared will definitely aid a lot of people.

    John Spessard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those grouts can indeed be pesky things, on account of their size and the sections of the tiles that they occupy. However, with the proper solutions in tow, those can be dealt with as quickly as possible. See? The before and after look so much different from each other. Great job!

    Veronica Newton @ Dry First

    ReplyDelete