New House to Home: How to Make a Printable in PicMonkey            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Sunday, January 12, 2014

How to Make a Printable in PicMonkey

Hello, friends, and happy new year!  Is January 13th too late to be wishing people a happy new year? I don't think so, especially since I just took the last of my Christmas decorations down yesterday.

I'm really excited about the new year.  I'm finally starting to feel settled in my new home and I'm itching to take on a few projects that will make it uniquely ours.  I've already completed one small project that I'm very excited to share with you, and the best thing about it is it didn't take much time or effort.  Check out these adorable printables that I made in PicMonkey.

Please note that the actual colors of the items in the photo are gray and coral.  It was ridiculously difficult to get a photo with accurate color in this windowless bathroom.

I had seen the "wash your hands and say your prayers" saying online, and I thought my teenage daughter would appreciate it.  Since she had a large expanse of empty wall that needed to be filled in her bathroom, I thought breaking the saying up into two printables would work out well.  Here's a step-by-step tutorial to show you how I did it.

**********************************************

CREATING AN 11"x14" PRINTABLE IN PICMONKEY

1.  If you already have a background you like saved as an image on your computer, you are good to go on to step 2.  I didn't have a background image, so I visited Mel at Mel Stampz and got this nice 12"x12" gray chevron.  Thanks Mel!



2.  Using the PicMonkey Photo Editor, open your background.  Within the basic edit options, you will see the crop option.  Crop your background to the size of your desired finished project.  I wanted my printable to be 11"x14" so that I could mat it and place it in a 16"x20" frame.  My goal was to fill the wall space without the prints being being obnoxiously large.



3. Next, you'll go over to the overlays option (that's the butterfly icon) and select a rectangular overlay from the geometric category.  This will be the border around the background that your text sits on (in my prints, it is gray in color).


Rotate and resize the rectangle to your desired size, and then choose your desired color.



4.  Add an additional rectangle following the instructions in step 3, except this time make your rectangle slightly smaller and choose the color that you want your text sitting on.  In my example, this rectangle is coral.




5.  Now it's time to add your text.  I chose the Marcelle Script font because I like the broken up, chalky look.



You can see that the size of my text was 298.  Yours may vary based on the size of your rectangle, the saying you choose, and the type of text you choose.


6.  Once everything is the way you want it, save your masterpiece.  Mine looked like this when I saved it.



7.  If you decide to make a second print like I did, make things easy on yourself.   Don't exit your first project and start from scratch.  Stay on your completed project, select the text you've already typed and type your next saying over it.  Not only will you save a ton of time, you will also ensure that the designs and text on both prints are consistent and will line up nicely when hung on the wall.  save your second project under a different name when you are finished.  Here's my second print.



8.  Now it's time to print your images using the photo printing outlet of your choice.  I chose to use Snapfish.  Each 11"x14" image cost $6.99 to print.  If I were a patient person, I would have elected to have the prints shipped to me, and I would have been eligible to use a coupon that would have made the second print practically free.  Since I am not a patient person, I opted to use Snapfish to send the prints to Walmart for same-day printing.  I was thrilled with the result!

Although it doesn't appear so in my photos, the printed colors are nearly identical to those displayed on my computer screen.

**********************************************

The 16"x20" frames were $19.99 each at Hobby Lobby, but I used 40% off coupons and got them for $12.  The mats were $4.99.  Since the prints were $6.99, the total cost of each print was less than $24.  When you consider the fact that these are custom prints that no one else in the neighborhood will have, and how much wall space they are covering, it's really a great deal.  

When you consider all the free backgrounds and clip art that are available on line, there is no end to the number of customized creations that can be made to suit your specific space.  Have you ever made a printable of your own?  Leave me the link in the comments - I would love to see your custom creation.  



Linking to:
Savvy Southern StyleHome Stories A to Z, It's OverflowingBeneath My Heart, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia,  Domestically SpeakingCoastal Charm, Craftberry Bush, Remodelaholic, By Stephanie Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I tried following someone else's directions a few months back and was so confused. With your directions I just realized how easy it is to design a printable!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete