New House to Home: Using Duct Tape to Jazz Up a Boring Door            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Using Duct Tape to Jazz Up a Boring Door

Sometimes, instead of doing a big project or a messy craft, I just want to do something quick and easy to add a little something extra to my home decor.  With the help of a $1 roll of duct tape, I was able to add an unexpected pop of color and pattern to my daughter's room in less than five minutes.  How's that for instant gratification?

It all started when I saw this roll of 1-3/8" duct tape on clearance at Target.

The width of the tape was nearly exactly the same as the depth of the doors in our house.  I thought the fun pattern would look great running along the side of my daughter's bedroom door.

I started at the top of the door, and ran the tape down the entire length.  When I got to the portion of the door with the knob hardware, I just taped right over the hardware, and then used and X-Acto knife to trim away the tape.

The pattern provides a fun surprised every time the door is opened.  When the door is closed, the tape can't be seen at all...

...but when someone opens it, the unexpected pop of color is revealed.

I just love an inexpensive, instant gratification project, especially one that doesn't cost much.  What's your favorite quick and easy way to add a little personality to your home?


Linking to:Savvy Southern StyleHome Stories A to Z, It's OverflowingBeneath My Heart, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia,  Domestically SpeakingCoastal CharmCraftberry BushRemodelaholicBy Stephanie Lynn

10 comments:

  1. I love this idea! So quick and easy and it really adds a lot of character too. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! So cute and so simple, yet I would never have thought of that! Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts http://hoybycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this--it is brilliant! I need to do this on the bi fold closet doors--my husband forgot to paint them and they look terrible when opened. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I was thinking of re-doing my daughters room and painting the trim and inside of her door white, but the outside of the door needs to stay stained wood to match the hall. this would make the transition from one side to another very smooth! thanks for solving that little problem I had in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very imaginative use of duct tape -- and nice job of decorating overall. Provides a nice accent to the door.

    ReplyDelete