New House to Home: Valentine's Day Peanut Butter Blossoms            
                                   
                        
           
            
                           
            
              

Monday, February 3, 2014

Valentine's Day Peanut Butter Blossoms



Happy Monday, friends!  How's everyone feeling after the Superbowl?  To be honest, there wasn't much partying going on in our house.  My younger daughter and I spent much of the day at her volleyball tournament, so by the time the big game started, we were pretty well wiped out.  We did manage to enjoy some time in front of the television as a family watching the game, and, more importantly, the commercials.  What was your favorite commercial?  Here's mine.




So, now that the big game is over, are you ready to think about Valentine's Day?  I don't know about you, but I don't do much decorating for Valentine's Day. By February, I've barely recovered from putting away the Christmas decor and the subsequent January organizing blitz.  The last thing I want to do is put out loads of seasonal decor that will only be displayed for a few weeks at most. Instead I focus on making the actual day special. This year, I'll plan to put together a cute table setting using things I gather from around the house. Something like this would be perfect. 





I'll also serve our traditional Valentine's Day heart shaped pizzas



This year I'm trying something different for an after dinner treat. Aren't these Valentine's Day peanut butter blossoms adorable?





I made the peanut butter blossoms using this basic recipe from the Hershey's website.  



****************************************************

PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS RECIPE


Ingredients

  • 48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Additional granulated sugar

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
  2. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
  3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges.  Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  Cool completely.
 Makes about 48 cookies.

****************************************************
Once the cookies were completely cool, I made them more festive with the addition of white and pink tinted frosting and sprinkles. To keep things simple, I just used canned frosting.  This Betty Crocker vanilla frosting worked well for me.




I put the frosting in a plastic sandwich bag and snipped off a tiny corner. I then use the snipped corner as a sort of "frosting pen."  Starting at the base of each kiss, I spiraled a thin line of frosting around the kiss until I reached the top. To make the pink frosting, I just added a few drops of food coloring to the bag.  

Once the frosting was on, I immediately sprinkled the sprinkles on. You have to work fast and get the sprinkles before the frosting sets, or else they won't stick. 

Not only are these cookies cute and festive, but they are also delicious!  With February 14 being almost two weeks away, I'm not sure these will last until Valentine's Day. 



Linking to:
Savvy Southern StyleHome Stories A to Z, It's OverflowingBeneath My Heart, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia,  Domestically SpeakingCoastal CharmCraftberry BushRemodelaholicBy Stephanie Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Looking at all of this food is starting to make me hungry. I hope my wife makes some stuff like this when we move into our new home. That would also be the perfect excuse to invite some guests over.
    Jayden Eden | http://www.lordandsaunders.com/mclean-va-homes-for-sale/

    ReplyDelete